Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The lost history of UNIONTOWN.COM and the state of this site
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:33 pm 

So I decided to do some digging with the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and found some interesting stuff about this board from about 1999 to 2005. It seems that the community was a lot more interested in communicating back then, as well as this board having buisness value. I saw the notices leading up to the creation of the message boards on this site, where the owners were polling the community via E-Mail whether they wanted a message board or not, with resounding support for yes. So why has it declined so much? I mean, yes message boards have fallen out of style in recent years, but does that explain the extent of the decline?

Post subject: Re: The lost history of UNIONTOWN.COM and the state of this site
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:38 am 

The webcam when it was or appeared to be on the Mount Vernon Inn....The OVERLOOK HOTEL as I used to call it lol was cool back in the day.

I remember 20 years ago right now the preparations were being made at a local company for the Y2K "event'..lol

and I was using my homebuilt ABIT BH6 with 4.3 gb Seagate hardrive I think.

The FORUM being on this site I enjoy obviously..and NOW THAT CENSORSHIP ON ALL THE MAJOR PLATFORMS..make this one that much MORE VALUABLE.

Now I suspect as this decade changes in a few days CONTROL over the internet and what we can and CAN"T say will get very strict.

THIS SITE allows anyone to say pretty much anything within reason. Certainly I have quite a few right wing view and a smattering or more at time on Conspiratorial commentary.

I would like to see commercial development as long as the FORUM is at least a nice sized LINk on the main domain page. .. This is still..for the time being a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC and this site is a good example of

THE PUBLIC SQUARE.

And I am GRATEFUL to the owner of this domain for this outlet public issues for debate and review.

If this is ever marginalized or disappeared in the black hole of memory history, GOD help us all.

There are definitely many topics on this board and participation is OPEN TO ALL.

Hopefully more like yourself will come an select a topic of interest and post.

Oh and yes so many of us "old farts" on the net learned ALOT from FORUMS..and isn't it funny how alot are disappearing ? They went to youtube facebook and twitter and got banned..which is creating the likes of VK and Bitchute and dlive etc etc.

I just hope this site stays mainly uncensored and free.

Take Care

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:32 pm 

This could be a great site if there were more posting. I see their are a fair number viewing but very few posts. I visited Uniontown and surrounding area last year for the 1st time in 25 years. Things have changed some, and yet most remains the same. Was up to Cheat Lake, the area changed so much, I guess since Morgantown has grown so much. The by pass has been completed to route 40 in Hopwood, and 43 turnpike made its presence, although not well used.

Big surprise for me was Lowe's, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight, all there, and in close proximity. For a hands on guy a great convenience. Then the Hearld-Standard turned into a liberal leftest newspaper. When I delivered it so many years ago, it was more of a centered paper not so biased views. In fact its really not much of a paper anymore.

Can't believe how many fast food places that were built. When I graduated about the only fast food places was Mac Donald's at old shopping center and Dairy Queen on 119 (Connellsville St), and a few Mom and Pop sandwich and Pizza shops. The Mac Donald's I'm talking about was the one torn down with Golden Arches, and burger, fries, and shake for 47 cents.

Yet, with all this the population of Fayette County, and Uniontown proper is still decreasing.

On a positive note, its scenery is still beautiful, and if one wants to can take a walk on some of the bike trails and get lost in time.

Just a few passing thoughts from an old timer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

I do see many people abandoning Facebook and LinkedIn and other giant platforms because of the headaches associated with them (tracking, advertisement feeding, drama/jones' syndrome, total invasion into your life kinda stuff). Maybe the trend will be that people get back to using simple mostly-anonymous sites like this to just "talk" again in their local community.

My policy is the same as when I ran a BBS many many years ago, say anything you want as long as you keep it legal, and attack people's ideas and not the person. That policy worked for years when I would get 100 posts/day on a BBS, and those were some heated conversations LOL. Otherwise I never plan on deleting anything ever LOL.

The only time I'd consider commercializing anything would be if the visitor load got so large that it was expensive to maintain (bandwidth mostly). In that instance I may place some tasteful static old-fashioned Uniontown-specific banner advertisements somewhere on the pages just to help offset some costs. I'm not in this for the money.

Facebook pushes too hard. When I used it, I friended one person so I could see their page, which spawned an overwhelming amount of friend requests, not just from actual friends but from friends' wives and parents, friends of friends, and if you friend one and not another it turned into drama. Craziness, almost like a social virus. I just killed my page and made a new one and have one friend, the wife. That facebook page gives out my email address for those looking for me, that's about it.